We are constantly looking for ways to save money and the same is true with your water bill. It may not seem like a lot, but minor adjustments can save you hundreds of dollars a year. Experienced, licensed plumbers are able to easily identify common ways people waste water including leaks, letting faucets run as you wait for warm water or while you are brushing your teeth. It may not seem like much, but even a few drips every couple of seconds can cost hundreds a year.
5 Tips To Cut Down On Your Water Bill
Any experienced plumber can tell you in order to save on your water bill, you have to know what to look for and know how to conserve. Standing in front of the mirror while brushing your teeth or shaving and letting the faucet run will waste more H2O than you will use while running your dish washer. There’s a difference in using and wasting, and if you can cut down on waste, you will cut down on your bill. Here are the top five tips from licensed plumbers on how to cut down on your water bill:
- Water Heater: If your water heater is more than ten years old, you are due for an upgrade. However, don’t just look for the cheapest model. This is an opportunity to upgrade and go with one that saves on energy and water usage. There are several options available including tankless models.
- Stove or Microwave: If you need hot water from the kitchen, do not let the tap run until warm water comes out. Put the water you need in a cup or pot and heat it using the microwave or stove instead.
- Brushing and Bathing: While you are brushing your teeth, or rubbing shampoo and conditioner into your hair, is the water running? Why? It’s not of any use to you, and it’s a waste. Turn off the faucet and you will notice a big change in your bill every month.
- Toilets: If you are ready to upgrade your toilets at home, look for models that use less water on flushes. They still do the work and do not waste any H2O. Our licensed plumbers can help you find the right solution for your bathroom.
- Check for Leaks: Leaks are a big problem because they can occur in not-so-easy-to-see areas like in faucets, behind walls, underneath the foundation, and even outside. If you notice any signs of leaking in slabs, pipes or your water heater, be sure to call a plumber right away to fix it. Even a drippy faucet can waste dozens of gallons a day. That can add up to hundreds of dollars a year literally going down the drain.
There are some things on this list that you can start doing right now that will help you to save money. However, don’t be afraid to spend money in order to save money. If your water heater or plumbing system is more than 10 years old, upgrading it will often save you more in the long run.
Our team of licensed plumbers are here to help you save money and keep your plumbing system running smoothly for years to come. If you notice any leaks, give us a call immediately as even a few drips can add up overtime. Make the BEST choice & call BEST Plumbing Service of Cincinnati today!